Pages

Friday, January 25, 2008

Heirloom Seeds

This past summer was my first taste of an heirloom Brandywine tomato. A little late in the game, eh? Not some half-ripe overpriced heirloom tomato that was from a grocery store either. This was straight from the farm (I belonged to Karl's Farm's CSA) and it was cracked and ugly and the best thing I ever tasted. It must have weighed well over a pound. I came home from work that day to our basket of veggies sitting on the front stoop and rushed upstairs when I saw we got a Brandywine tomato. I was like a kid with their Christmas stocking, only I was a grown up and this was a tomato. I immediately took it out and held it up to appreciate it's density, showing my boyfriend the gloriousness of it. He of course thought I was crazy...until he tasted it. I sliced it up and put the tiniest amount of salt on it and we enjoyed it in silence.

Ever since then I have been hooked on heirloom veggies. I planted our fall garden mostly with seeds from Baker Creek. This month I have been looking through my seed catalogs, planning our year filled with heirloom seeds. I was ecstatic yesterday to find an article in the Washington Post about heirloom seeds. They even mention Baker Creek!


Digg!